Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Moms

It has now been ten years since my mother passed away suddenly while we were at a quilt show. It seems like yesterday. Whenever something exciting happens in my life I instinctively still reach for the phone to tell mom. My daughter was only 5 at the time and I remember thinking it wasn't fair that she will never know the most wonderful woman in the world that adored her dearly. Over the years I have experienced motherhood myself which has oftentimes made me want to call my mother and apologize to her. Only a mother can really understand...in good time and in bad. I am truly shocked at how it hasn't gotten any easier to live without her. I don't cry as often and I am living my life but it still isn't fair that she isn't here to see what an phenomenal woman her granddaughter is growing into. It isn't fair that she can't see her tapdance and listen to stories about her first kiss. My mother was famous so my daughter hears about her all the time from quilters that remember her. The things my mother was going to accomplish in this world didn't get done. The quilts she could have made! Holidays have never been the same. The thing is....she didn't have to die. She shouldn't have been so stubborn. No time for the doctor. It's in my head. It's a waste of money. I don't have time for this. Please......if you are experiencing ankle swelling, difficulty breathing, repeated colds/pneumonia.....take the time. Go to as many doctors as you have to until you've exhausted all possibilities. Remember that your life isn't just your own. It belongs to your children...grandchildren...husbands...brothers/sisters...all the people that need you and want you in their lives for many years to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you are really really right! The people who have left our life leaves a great empty whole at our hearts.
Yesterday it should have been my grandfathers birthday. I was lucky to have him with me 27 years. But when he was jung an my moterh was a child he never had time for her because of his job. Later he always said that he sees my mother growing in me. So he had missed her most im portened expiriences in life.So it is very importend to take time for your love ones. The time whicht has passed never comes back.

LG
Christiane

Rebecca Grace said...

Didi, I was so excited to find your blog, then disappointed to see that you hadn't posted recently. I just wanted to let you know that your mom would really be proud of you, and the way you are sharing her legacy and continuing to help poor fools like me learn to hand quilt successfully. I took a class with you at a quilt show in New Jersey oh, must have been in 2003 or 2004, and I still remember how inspiring you were with your bare feet and bare enthusiasm for hand quilting. I was the one in tears because my stitches were always uneven until you showed me that it wasn't my fault, uneven thread counts in the warp and weft were to blame. So thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! In a world where sewing has become increasingly mechanized and computerized and automated, we need more people like you showing us that more technology does not necessarily make a better quilt. Consider yourself hugged!