Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sharing

When I was in college I brought my best friend home with me for Thanksgiving because her family lived too far away for her to visit for the holiday. The first morning we went down to the kitchen and I poured us both a glass of milk. As I put some sliced bread in the toaster she took a sip of milk. She looked at her glass curiously and sniffed it. Then she extended her hand towards me and said, in a very matter-of-fact tone, "try this". I took a sip and.....almost became sick in the sink. The milk was more than a little spoiled!
Ever since this incident I have been hyper-aware of people that feel the need to share an unpleasant experience with their so-called friends. "here, smell this". Now I ask you...why do we do this? Its obvious it smells bad. Its obvious it does NOT taste right. Yet....we promptly hand it over to the nearest person and ask for ..verification.
My daughter is really really good at this particular form of sadistic comraderie! You would think we would want to protect our husbands, children or best friends and immediately expell the offending object from our lives lest someone else suffer as we just did. ROFL But nooooooo, we want to SHARE the experience. I bet after you read this and begin paying attention you will soon see your own examples of this phenomenon in your own lives!

No comments: